Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes
Let’s try this beautiful, tasty and healthy Vegan Lentil Sloppy Joes!
Find it online: https://teaspoonofspice.com/vegan-lentil-sloppy-joes/
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about ½ medium)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (about 1 medium)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounces/425g) can lentils, drained and rinsed (or 2 ¼ cups cooked lentils)
- 1 (14.5 ounces/400g) can low-sodium diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp Ac’cent flavor enhancer/AJI-NO-MOTO®(MSG)
- 1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 4 whole-wheat pita breads, split open
- 1 ½ cups chopped seedless cucumber (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- *Use US cup
In a pot over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper, cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for another minute, stirring often.
Add lentils, canned tomatoes, cumin, thyme, Ac’cent and salt. Turn heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Stuff each pita with the lentil mix. Layer with cucumbers and lettuce, serve.