Japanese Mushroom Soup with Rice
Recipe provided by Umami Information Center
- Mushrooms (shiitake, eringi king oyster, button, enoki, shimeji) 80 grams each (0.18 pound)
- vegetable oil
- 30 cc sake
- 10 grams salt
- 30 cc koikuchi soy sauce
- 25 grams mitsuba (trefoil)
- 4 whole black pepper
- 440 grams steamed white rice
- 900 cc roasted vegetable dashi
Prepare the mushrooms:
- shiitake: remove the stem. Cut the cap in half horizontally, then cut into thin strips.
- king oyster: cut vertically into 3 pieces, then tear by hand into 3 mm (1/8 inch) strips.
- button: cut into thin slices.
- enoki: remove the spongy bottom to release the cluster and cut into 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) lengths.
- shimeji: cut off the bottom and separate by hand into individual stalks. Split by hand if there are any big
Heat some oil in a pan. Sauté the mushrooms over low to medium heat. When cooked through, add the roasted vegetable dashi. Season to taste with sake, salt, and soy sauce.
Cut the mitsuba into 1.5 cm (1/2 inch) pieces. Bring the mushroom soup to boil. Add the
mitsuba and turn off the heat immediately. Substitute coriander or spinach.
Rinse the steamed white rice.
In a separate pan, bring water to boil and add the rice. Bring it to boil again and strain
the rice in a colander
To serve, place the rice in a bowl and cover with soup. Top with crushed black pepper.