Vegan Mac & Cheese
“My vegan mac and cheese recipe is a beautiful alternative to one that contains dairy. This recipe contains healthy fats from the cashews, plus vegetables from the squash. Another option is to add kale or spinach to the pasta water to flash-cook it right before the pasta is done, then drain it all together and add the cheese.”
More tips? Check out Abby’s website:
- 1 box (400g) macaroni or another short pasta shape
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked overnight
- 3 cups butternut squash cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup almond milk + more as needed
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp AJI-NO-MOTO® (MSG)
Preheat oven to 180℃/350F.
Toss squash with olive oil and roast in oven until browned and soft.
Cook pasta according to package instructions.
While pasta is cooking, process the cashews in a high-speed blender, adding almond milk slowly to achieve smooth consistency.
Add squash and all other ingredients and continue to process until silky, adding more almond milk until desired consistency is reached.
Toss with hot pasta and serve.